Savor Historic Oakwood Neighborhood Food Tour
- Adults For ages 12+
- Children (11 and under)
Get insights into the downtown culinary landscape.
Sample a cross-section of some of Raleigh’s unique local restaurant and venues, blended together with some forgotten historical tidbits that leaves you full of new insights into the downtown culinary landscape.
We’ll be walking our way through the Historic Oakwood district. We’ll be stopping numerous times for sample tastings and stories.
We will enjoy tastings from some of the following (depending on the availability and season):
- A historic supermarket turned smoked-cuisine restaurant
- A NY-style pizza joint
- A favorite ice cream store
- A yummy bread and pastry stop
- An authentic Mexican stop with a 1950s theme
- A unique local neighborhood deli
- A neighborhood bottle shop
- A longtime local favorite sandwich shop… and much more
What to Expect
- Five food stops, it’s more than just “bites”, come hungry!
- One alcoholic sample (appropriate substitutes will be served to guests under 21).
- Approximate three-hour tour, veering off the beaten path at points.
- Moderately paced, approximate 1.8 miles of walking, suitable for most fitness levels. We will break at food stops along the route.
- We will stop at historical points along the way and listen to the history and origins of these districts.
- With advanced notice, we can fulfill most requests (allergies, vegetarians, etc.).
What to Bring:
- Bring a photo ID.
- Wear comfortable clothes & walking shoes.
- Tours run rain or shine so bring a rain jacket and/or umbrella if rain is in the forecast. Often times in North Carolina, storms and rain showers appear and move out of the area quickly. We will be going inside the establishments on the tour, and in the event of inclement weather, will adjust the schedule if needed.
- Cash or Venmo to tip your guide. Guide gratuity not included. Our guides make every effort to ensure you have a great tour experience. Gratuities are always welcomed and appreciated, it is standard in the service industry to tip 10-20 percent of the ticket price.
Where to Meet
- Check your confirmation email for details on the meeting location.
- “The Historic Oakwood Neighborhood Food Tour was an excellent afternoon of new food, facts, and friends!” -Lance K.
- “The Historic Oakwood Neighborhood Food Tour was nothing short of fantastic. For over three hours we walked, tasted, sipped, and listened to our guide, Sarah, describe the neighborhood and the historic places we passed along the way.” -Susan M.
- “We really enjoyed our walking food tour with Jacquelyn. Great niche restaurants, in the midst of a historic neighborhood, which we learned even more about, despite the fact we are local to the area.” -Sue S.
Tastings + water/soda. Drink package is available. Bring a photo ID. Our guides make every effort to ensure you have a great tour experience. Gratuities are always welcomed and appreciated.
Anyone 8 years or older can join this tour, but we recommend 11 years of age and older for a great experience.
This tour is offered the 2nd and 4th Fridays & Saturdays at 1:45pm. Private tour days vary. Check your confirmation and reminder notes.
Delicious, fun and informative. Come hungry!
Comfortable clothes & walking shoes. Tours run rain or shine so bring a rain jacket and/or umbrella if rain is in the forecast. Oftentimes in North Carolina, storms and rain showers appear and move out of the area quickly. Tickets will be transferred to gift card if a close down occurs from Covid-19.
We will be going inside the establishments on the tour and in the event of inclement weather, we will adjust the schedule if needed. You are welcome to bring bottled water. Cash to tip your guide.
Triangle Food and City Tours, Inc. is the original walking food tour company in the Triangle. Opened in 2008, it is locally-owned and run. We donate to a number of historic sites and museums we visit as well as local causes. You have a chance to give when purchasing a ticket. We will match your donation.