Discover unique family-owned restaurants and venues in Raleigh’s Historic Oakwood neighborhood, North Carolina’s largest, best preserved 19th century neighborhood. Blending together some forgotten historical tidbits that leaves you full!
Bites of Boylan Heights Neighborhood Food Tour
- Child 11 and Under
Downtown Raleigh’s first and original walking food tour…experience a guided culinary journey of sight and taste.
Discover unique family-owned restaurants and venues in Raleigh’s Boylan Heights, an early 20th century neighborhood. Blending together some forgotten historical tidbits that leaves you full!
We’ll be making our way through downtown Boylan Heights and may wander into the Warehouse and Glenwood districts depending on the season. For a personable experience, tours are conducted in small, intimate groups.
We’ll be stopping numerous times for tastings and stories. Let our restaurants fill your stomach with delicious tastings and let our guides fill your mind with historical stories.
We will enjoy tastings from some of the following (depending on the availability and season):
- A unique market
- A delicious cupcake shop
- A local empanada stand
- A gourmet bakery
- A gourmet chocolate factory
- A eastern-style iconic BBQ restaurant
- A one-of-a-kind hot dog joint
- A longtime local favorite Asian restaurant… and much more.
What to Expect
- Five food stops, it’s more than just “bites”, come hungry!
- One alcoholic sample (appropriate substitutes will be served to guests under 21).
- Approximate three-hour tour, veering off the beaten path at points.
- Moderately paced, approximate 1.6 miles of walking, suitable for most fitness levels. We will break at food stops along the route.
- We will stop at historical points along the way and listen to the history and origins of these districts.
- With advanced notice, we can fulfill most requests (allergies, vegetarians, etc.).
What to Bring:
- Bring a photo ID.
- Wear comfortable clothes & walking shoes.
- Tours run rain or shine so bring a rain jacket and/or umbrella if rain is in the forecast. Often times in North Carolina, storms and rain showers appear and move out of the area quickly. We will be going inside the establishments on the tour and, in the event of inclement weather, will adjust the schedule if needed.
- Cash or Venmo to tip your guide. Guide gratuity not included. Our guides make every effort to ensure you have a great tour experience. Gratuities are always welcomed and appreciated, it is standard in the service industry to tip 10-20 percent of the ticket price.
Where to Meet
- Check your confirmation email for details on the meeting location.
- “Thanks so much again for a great adventure. Glad I found you guys!!” – Lindsey B.
- “We had a fantastic time. Food portions were MORE than generous, and the history shared along the way was interesting and memorable.” -Dan H.
- “Take this tour. Great history. We laughed a lot and made new friends.”- Catherine R.“Excellent tour and food choices! Our group had a wonderful experience with Melissa! Jaqueline was so easy to work with and made sure every stop was perfect! Highly recommend.” – Maria B.
Triangle Food and City Tours, Inc. is the original walking food tour company in the Triangle. Opened in 2008, it is locally-owned and run. We donate to a number of historic sites and museums we visit as well as local causes. You have a chance to give when purchasing a ticket. We will match your donation.